Monday, November 22, 2010

2day's recipe: Jamaican Jerk Chicken over Spiced Pasta - AWESOME!

Happy Monday!
Sorry for the late post.  I worked this morning.  I know, not a very good excuse but it was a busy morning. 

I am posting the jerk chicken recipe we tried Friday night.  It was really very good.  I was really excited when I saw the pasta recipe that was recommended with it and knew I would just love this recipe and it would earn a deserved spot in my favorite recipe file.  Why? you ask?  Simple,  it contains cinnamon and butter.  I know, I know - too weird!  Well, let me tell you a little story.  I grew up in a partially Lebanese family and a secret ingredient in Lebanese food is cinnamon.  No, it doesn't make food taste like cookies, it gives it a warm flavor that is hard to put into words.  Butter, onions and cinnamon heated together is one of the most amazing smells and the taste - WHOA!  amazing.  I can tell you, I am always asked - what is that I'm tasting?  and when I answer, it's cinnamon I get the same reaction - NO WAY.  So, you are going to have to trust me on this, it is a wonderful ingredient and I encourage you try it.  Butter and cinnamon are no longer just for cookies!  Here is one of my new favorite recipes.  oh, the chicken was awesome!  Do let it marinade as long as possible.  It gives it a great flavor and makes killer chicken salad the next day!
Enjoy my friends! :-)

Jamaican Jerk Chicken over Spiced Pasta

From Paula Deen, believe or not. Very good but not really jerk chicken. She uses some of the same spices but is missing some major ingredients for Jamaican Jerk Chicken but Boy, this recipe is a keeper. I love the spiced pasta. It is a perfect touch.

Ingredients
1 cup Green onion minced
1/2 cup Soy sauce
2 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
3 cloves Garlic minced ( I used fresh garlic and just dropped the garlic in the processor 1st to mince)
2 teaspoon Black pepper
2 teaspoon Brown sugar firmly packed
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Ginger
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
6 Chicken breasts boneless, skinless
2 tablespoon Vegetable oil

Spiced Pasta
1 16oz Spaghetti cooked and drained; keep warm
1/2 cup Butter melted
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon I used more
1 teaspoon Salt


Instructions
In a processor or blender, combine green onions, soy sauce, jalapenos, garlic, pepper, brown sugar, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice. Process until Smooth.

In a large zip-lock, combine chicken and spice mixture. Seal bag and refrigerate for at least 8hrs to 24hrs.

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large cast-iron skillet or regular skillet, heat oil over med-high heat. Cook chicken for about 4mins on each side to brown. Remove chicken from pan and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 10-15mins. or until cooked through.
(note from Sara: I have used bone in chicken in this recipe and it was wonderful, add more cooking time in oven if using bone-in chicken. If you have leftover chicken, it makes awesome chicken salad or a panini)

Serve with Spiced Pasta.

Spiced Pasta:
In large bowl or pot you cooked the noodles in, combine butter, salt and cinnamon. Toss with pasta. Taste and add more seasoning if desired.

Yields: 4-6 Servings

No comments:

Post a Comment