Tuesday, March 2, 2010

2day's recipe is for my friend Hope!

Sorry, I have been away from my blog for a couple of weeks.  I was on vacation and my laptop was involved in an accident while I was out trying to snow ski.  I'm happy to report my laptop is out of the hospital & ready to go back to work.  THANK GOD!!!  Honestly, being without it for one week was like having an arm missing.  VERY SAD, isn't it???!!!

Any way, today's recipe is for my patient friend, Hope.  She asked me for this recipe about a month ago and today is the first day I have been able to post it.  Sorry, Hope.  I hope you enjoy this and it is worth your wait.  If not, don't tell me!!! LOL :-)

Artichoke and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken

Tender chicken breasts filled with a lightly herbed goat cheese and artichoke stuffing.  I added spinach to the stuffing since I had some extra I needed to get rid of and I think I added some parmesan to the top of the chicken.  I remember putting some white wine in the sauce as well.  Which was just an excuse to open a bottle of white wine!!!  I served it with some angel hair and creamy pesto sauce.  You could do either a pesto or an alfredo with this and it would be perfect.  oh - add some sun-dried tomatoes or grape tomatoes if you like those.

Ingredients
3 teaspoon(s) olive oil (divided use)
3/4 cup(s) artichoke heart canned, (drained & chopped)
1/4 cup(s) shallot minced
2 ounce(s) Goat cheese crumbled (or Feta)
1 teaspoon(s) herbs de Provence dried, * (divided use)
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt (divided use)
1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper (divided use)
2 teaspoon(s) parsley fresh, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
4 6oz. chicken breasts boneless, skinless, (fat not flat)
1 cup(s) chicken broth low-fat, reduced sodium
2 tablespoon(s) lemon juice fresh
2 teaspoon(s) cornstarch
lemon zest


Instructions

Heat 1/3 of the oil over medium heat using a nonstick pan. Add the shallots and artichoke hearts. Sauté about 4minutes. Remove to a bowl and cool. Stir in the cheese, parsley and ½ of the herbes de Provence, salt and pepper.

Cut a horizontal slit through the thickest part of the chicken breast, forming the largest pocket possible withoutcutting through the breasts or enlarging the slit too much. Divide the artichoke filling into 4 equal parts. Stuffas much of the filling as you can into each breast pocket. (About 2 tablespoons or more.) Try to arrange the filling so the slit in the pocket is as closed as possible.

Heat the remaining oil over medium heat in a large non stick pan or skillet. Add the chicken and season with the remaining salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken, turning once, until the chicken is just done. (Do not over cook.)

Remove chicken to a plate or bowl and cool.

To the pan that the chicken was cooked, add the chicken broth and the remaining herbes de Provence and bring to a

boil. Combine the lemon juice and cornstarch and whisk into the boiling broth. Cook until thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.  Serve chicken with sauce and lemon zest on top.

* Herbes de Provence can be made for this recipe by using a simple mixture of thyme (1 tablespoon), basil (1teaspoon) and rosemary (1/4 teaspoon).

1 comment:

  1. The ingredients alone are making my mouth water and I can't wait to cook this with MY personal chef and boyfriend extrodinaire! Hope :)

    ReplyDelete