Monday, March 8, 2010

2day's recipe: Colleen's Slow Cooker Jambalaya

This dish is wonderful but I would advise reading the notes first before fixing it.  1 tsp of cayenne pepper is a lot!  If you like extra spicy then leave it and definately add the garlic!

Colleen's Slow Cooker Jambalaya

"This recipe came about from a lot of experimenting over the years. My family and friends like this version the best. Serve over cooked rice.

Ingredients
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound andouille sausage sliced
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion chopped
1 large green bell pepper chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails


Instructions

1.In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, green bell pepper, celery, and broth. Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme.

2.Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High. Stir in the shrimp during the last 30 minutes of cook time.

Serve over your favorite rice.   Yields: 12 Servings

sara's note - you can use this recipe in a pressure cooker as well.  I browned my chicken in a skillet and browned the sausage a little then added everything to PC.  High for 40 mins did the trick.  Do not forget to reduce your liquids since you are using a PC.

notes: Due to previous reviews about it being too runny, I drained the tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes with onion, celery, and green peppers). I omitted the pepper (my family doesn't like them), and added 4 or so cloves of sliced garlic (a must!). I used Tony Chachere's seasoning, and only 1/2 tsp. cayenne and I thought it was perfect, but some (like my mother-in-law who is very sensitive), might find it a big spicy (nothing a little sour cream on top won't fix :D). Finally, I planned on adding rice directly in the crock pot, but it turned out to actually be too dry (may be because it cooked for 9 1/2 hours), so I had to cook the rice separately, then stirred it in with about 1/2 cup of extra chicken broth. So easy, and so good!

Amount Per Serving Calories: 235
Total Fat: 13.6g
Cholesterol: 99mg

No comments:

Post a Comment