Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Recipe of the Day: Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken (or u can use the oven)

Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken

I've fallen in love with my pressure cooker. I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to try in my PC.  Cooking whole chicken is fun and always delicious.  I use what herbs I have on hand and any citrus that is getting ready to go south to flavor my chicken.  I always have rosemary and a orange or two.  Use any dried herbs that you like, really anything. Using the pressure cooker, the chicken turns out somewhere between roasted & stewed, and is delicous, tasty & moist. I served it with mashed potatoes & moistened with some of the juice from the chicken. You can have a real feast in 45 mins. tops!
Serve with other veggie - my sister is coming for dinner and her favorite is stewed squash and onions (stew in chicken broth, salt, pepper, a little garlic and honey - a good southern gal recipe)

Yields: 4 Servings

Ingredients
2 lbs whole chickens
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper
1 1/2 cups water or chicken broth

Instructions
Rinse chicken & pat dry. Season with salt & pepper. Heat oil in uncovered pressure cooker; brown chicken on all sides in hot oil. Remove chicken; place rack in pressure cooker and place browned chicken in rack. Add water/broth around chicken. Place lid on cooker, seal, and bring up to pressure. Cook for 25 minutes. Release pressure by quick release method. Remove chicken to platter, pour accumulated juice.

If you don't have a Pressure Cooker - You can cook this in a slow cooker all day or in the oven on 400 degrees for 20mins per pound (check your packaging to confirm timing)

No comments:

Post a Comment